About Me

Hey there! I'm a twenty-three year old Jesus follower, and this blog is to record all of the goings-on in my life within the next months. I recently broke both of my legs, and feel God leading me to tell my story - a story of redemption and grace, of hope and pain, of excitment and fear. May you be deeply blessed as you read. Shalom!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Flexible.

I am so ready for bed.  I climbed up and down a flight of stairs three times today.  This is a first for me in about three months.  I look like a little kid, bumping down each stair on my butt.  The first time was to take a bath (yuck!), the second time to watch a movie, and the third time to swivel in a swively chair for a while.  It was fun, but I felt sick afterward. 

I have found it difficult to find contentment and patience in the last days.  Plans have changed quite a few times, and I'll think I get to go somewhere, and then it will start snowing like the dickens or my parents are over-tired from driving the twins around all day.  I totally get that, but it's hard to remain flexible.  And.  I haven't been taking my Vitamin D - big mistake.  If you don't take Vitamin D, you should.  It's good for you.  It keeps me sane.  Not taking it makes me insane.

I learned from my friend, the future Mrs. Klaers, that you can listen to the Bible online.  Isn't that crazy!?  This mysterious guy, with a deep, slightly English-sounding voice reads every word to you.  BibleGateway has a little speaker button I've never noticed, and I feel like I've discovered a secret.  This morning I was listening to John 2, my goal being to finish the book of John soon.  Jesus had to flexible!!!  Did you know that?!  I mean, I've read this passage a million times, and I realized that Jesus was flexible in John 2.

He is at a wedding with his mom, and all of his disciples.  The disciples have never been in my imagination when I think about the story, which I find funny.  He's only recently gathered all of his disciples together in the chapter before, and they were all invited to the wedding.  Mary was somehow closely related to the wedding party (I can't remember how), and so she becomes very concerned for the integrity of the family throwing the wedding shindig.  She comes to Jesus, (I've always imagined her out of breath), and says to him, 

"They have no more wine."

Jesus calmly responds by saying respectfully,
"Woman,why do you involve me?  My hour has not yet come."  
 
His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

I'm sure all of the disciples watched as Jesus instructed the servants to fill six stone water jars with water, and it is this water that is turned into the best wine of the days-long celebration.  I don't know how I would have responded if I were Jesus.  I think it's interesting that his mother makes a statement instead of asking him a question (was this a habit of hers to keep from putting Jesus in a hard place?), that Jesus feels his hour hasn't yet come (what was his hour supposed to be?), and that Mary goes ahead and tells the servants to do whatever Jesus tells them, even though she knows he is displeased (was it because everyone was already drunk?)

Even JESUS had to be flexible!  His hour had not yet come, and yet he was called into a place where he had to make a decision about how to respond, still having to honor both his Heavenly Father, and his mother.  Jesus was perfect, but I'm sure he had to think very carefully about his actions.  The disciples believed in him after that point; it was the first of many signs that he was the Messiah. 

I just think that it is funny that Jesus is called to flexibility at this point in his story: he put his mother before himself, and was patient when he had to do something that he probably didn't really want to do.  I just admire him because he always practices what he preaches, something that I can stand to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment